Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chard Taco Salad

Howdy!

I know I'm a bit overdue; I tried to get to this all week. But at least I'm here now and with a delicious way to get in some of those healthy leafy greens. And I'm definitely always looking for more of those. The base of this recipe came from a Chard Taco recipe over on Allrecipes.com. I had never eaten chard and after a disaster with mustard greens, I have learned that not all greens are created equal, especially as far as flavor is concerned. There was a bit to tweak, but it certainly seemed do-able.


I haven't come up with a manageable bread-like wrapper yet, so I figured I'd make this a salad. Of course, if tortillas are on your menu, by all means, wrap these puppies up! I hope to try it myself, having just heard about Trader Joe's Brown Rice Tortillas (or even if I wait to try corn again). I made a pound of ground turkey ahead of time, just seasoned with a little salt. I like to have it in the fridge for a quick bit of protein for a meal or snack. Otherwise, the rest is actually pretty easy and not that time consuming (by my somewhat skewed whole food standards).


Chard Taco Salad

Ingredients

1 -2 tbsp olive oil

1 medium - large onion, diced

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 tablespoon red pepper flakes, or to taste

1/2 cup chicken broth

1 bunch Swiss chard, tough stems removed and shredded

1 pinch salt

½ c ground turkey, cooked

Chili powder to taste

Cumin to taste

1 heaping tbsp Greek yogurt (or sour cream if you tolerate/prefer it)

Handful of chopped grape tomatoes

Directions

Heat the oil over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned golden brown. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the chicken broth, Swiss chard, and salt. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until chard is nearly tender, about 5 minutes. Remove lid, add turkey, cumin and chili powder. Increase heat to medium, stirring until the liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes.

Transfer to serving bowl and mix in yogurt and tomatoes. Enjoy!


I find this recipe makes a large single serving or would be enough for two or three, depending on what else you serve with it. I tend to have it on its own, but you could definitely stretch it if it was accompanied with rice and beans.

Hopefully I'll have some new ideas to share soon! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment